Monday 10 January 2011

6. Learn new home skills and put to use

Having purchased my first home in 2005, I soon realised how over-reliant on my dad I was! Decorating was something I wasn't at all used to nor built for in many respects! General household duties such as D.I.Y, gardening, etc were not my forté by any means and it was something of a shock to the system.

It's probably an indication of the times too as these were skills that were honed into the last generation and came naturally to our dads but at school, technology classes such as woodwork and electrical etc I didn't enjoy nor learn much from.

However, having finally managed to persuade people to buy me D.I.Y kits for the past few Christmas', as well as picking required bits up myself, I have found that the odd bits of home improving that I do, I both enjoy and feel I do well. Often it's just a lack of confidence, time and money that prevent me doing a number of tasks around the house but I want this to change and I want to become more of a man about the house and make our home perfect. Especially as now that we are expecting our first child and I am becoming the dad generation now, I want my children to look up to me, respect me for what I can do and learn from me. I certainly don't want them coming home from school at year 7 and laughing as they can rewire a plug socket and I can't!

There are a number of different skills that I wish to learn, whether these are from trial and error, learning from others, or taking short courses. There's no better time too than when there's a child on the way as I have a nursery to sort out. My next few updates on this target will specify what new skills I wish to acquire as well as the progress with them.



No comments:

Post a Comment