Monday 10 January 2011

4. Look the part

Albeit, included in my first target (1. Reach Level 6), this target is based around my refereeing as whilst it Is remotely linked to the first target, it remains in itself a totally separate goal. What I mean by this is to always be prepared in terms of my kit, but also that the kit that I have looks professional and does a job.

When I first started refereeing, in all honesty a key reason for starting was extra income as I was to be married towards the end of my first season. Taking this into account as well as not knowing at the time how far I wanted to go with my refereeing, I didn't really want to be shelling out for a proper kit so I bought a cheap one off eBay that did the job. It wasn't an obvious cheap one to the untrained eye and was more than adequate for my first season in the Youth League. I always ensured I had good boots too so that I was comfortable and I also had my own flags, whistle, cards etc that I needed.

Since advancing into the promotion pool and growing aspirations of one day being a top referee, my kit requirements have since grown. Firstly, I am required to turn up to my 'proper' games looking the part and so a purchased FA Referee badge has been sewn to a smart jacket and I always go in a clean shirt, trousers and tie to match, together with clean shoes. I have also recently purchased my first 'proper' kit, the Umbro, all black PGMO kit. It's very classy and I really enjoy wearing it, but the one issue I have with it as because it is not white-trimmed, when refereeing as a team, all 3 officials should wear the same. Not the same kit but either all black, or white trimmed, therefore when the others don't have all black, i'm back to the eBay kit. Therefore, a proper white trimmed kit is top of my list of requirements as well as a number of other items:

- new white trimmed referee strip
- large jacket
- tracksuit
- training jacket
- long sleeved body warmer
- alternative coloured referee shirt
- good quality flags
- bigger kitbag
- FA towel
- white shirt with FA badge
- FA tie / RA tie
- accessories including spare whistle, pencils, pencil sharpener, pressure gauge, mini pump, first aid kit, heat rub, plasters, suntan lotion, spare watch, etc

When the above shopping list is completed and I feel that I am comfortable with my full attire on a consistent basis, then I will mark this as complete. I am the sort of person that as and when something needs replacing, such as a new kit, new boots etc, I get them, so I won't keep this target as incomplete due to the chance that I will need to buy things in future. I just want to always look the part. This will all help me achieve my first target, to be promoted.



No comments:

Post a Comment