Saturday 2 April 2011

10 Home games in a season

Actually, this goal, whilst set many years ago, it has now slipped down the pecking order and become less of a priority than it once was, although I do still hope to complete it one day. I do believe that I will, the question is when? There's something quite big in the way preventing me from completing this goal at present - real life!

As an avid Liverpool fan all my life, it was hard being younger and having to watch from afar as the lack of money and travel meant that I couldn't be one of the masses out there every Saturday (yes, pre-Sky games were played on a Saturday!), singing on the Kop and enjoying the games from pitchside. I always believed that when I hit the ages of about 17-18+ that I would be an Anfield regular. There was a setback for a number of years in that I couldn't actually drive until I was about 23 and then didn't have any great income until about this time too.

When things did improve for me I did start going to games but not as regularly as hoped. However, taking into account girls, income, distance, the recession, and hobbies, the chance of this target now being met any time in the next 5-10 years seems slim at best.

I never want to be one of those supporters of the grander sides that will happily lap up every ounce of success their team brings but isn't even bothered about making any form of effort to actually go and support them. These are the sort of fans that will be happily traveling down to Wembley with the Stags in May with their mates, but have never seen the insides of Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the likes, yet will call themselves United / Chelsea fans, be in your face when they win and your club lose and at any other opportunity.

I still make the effort, just not now as much and not anywhere near as much as I'd like to be able to. At the end of the day, I'm not going to be playing football forever, nor refereeing, nor skint! I'm looking forward to taking my son / children to the games and hope we can become regulars and of course that he / she / they share my passion. All will become clearer in time!



No comments:

Post a Comment